The Distribution function within an Asset Manager is one of the most impacted by the Sustainable Finance Disclosures Regulation (SFDR).
Distribution leads should be using the regulation as an opportunity for enhanced client engagement around ESG, to better understand your clients’ preferences and develop a market-leading proposition that goes beyond just regulatory compliance.
In this short video, Troy Mortimer, Director in our ESG & Responsible Investment Practice, and Anna Skylakaki, Senior Manager and ESG Practice Lead, explain how you can make the most of this opportunity.
There are three things you can do to set yourself apart:
- Understand your clients’ wants and needs in relation to investment objectives, ESG principles and reporting requirements (internal and external e.g. SFDR, DWP)
- Explore the opportunity for product re-classifications according to Articles 8 or 9, cross-selling and enhancements to existing products
- Expand your reporting capabilities to meet the requirements for those products, and look for opportunities to go beyond the regulation and tailor your reporting efforts to your clients
What does that mean in practice?
- Your clients are on their own ESG journey, and you should be helping them along that journey through proactive engagement
- You need input and representation from across the organisation, from Distribution, Investments, Operations and Risk among others
- Expectations from clients and regulators are evolving; to best respond to the changing landscape, you will need robust, flexible data and technology foundations
To find out more about the ESG regulatory landscape and how this may impact your business, please contact Troy Mortimer for more information.
Thinking more broadly about your ESG agenda for the year ahead? Read our thoughts on what it takes to be a leader in this quickly evolving space in 2021 here.